Terms, Contact Info, Recipe Index, and link love

3.12.2013

DIY Shamrock Shake


  So Monday happened, just in case you weren't aware of that little fact.

  I'm not usually one to fall into the classic "Monday hater" category.  I mean, come on, it's just another day of the week!  Who cares?

  But today...I dunno. I think I finally understand.


  Let's start with morning.  Oversleeping, and the hair starts to frizz the second I step out of the shower.  Yay for curls and humidity!

  Take way too long scraping damp hair (Never a good idea to to mess with damp curls, neverrrr.  But do I listen?  No.)  into a haphazard messy bun.  Chug some painkillers for the, uh, lady pains, (Great timing, eh, girlhood?) and stalk downstairs with a tower of dirty clothes in a classy outfit that just screams "Laundry Day."

  This is where I start feeling really thankful that I don't actually have to leave the house.  Homeschoolers, FTW!


  Proceed to breakfast.  Oh!  There's still a bowlful of Cinnamon Toast Crunch left, score!  Here's the thing.  The said cereal box is too tall to fit in the cupboard vertically, so it lies on its side.  I grab it, and somehow I confuse my tops and bottoms, and am oblivious to the fact that the top is open.

  Oh, hey there Mr. Broom.  Short time, too much see.

  Guess it's toast.


  After cleaning off the cinnamon-sugar-y socks, let us proceed to wrestle with Calculus for, I kid you not, hours.

  This definitely calls for a break.  Of the Shamrock Shake variety.

  I have no strong affinity towards McDonald's.  I used to, because, you know, I also used to be a little kid.  The day I fully comprehended that their McNuggets were of a mysterious variety, I lost my taste for that place a bit.

  But those shakes?  Those seasonal, notorious Shamrock Shakes?  Minty green, cool, mounds of whipped cream...yeah, those.

  Let me just take a moment to thank (and silently curse) The Naptime Chef for creating this DIY version with perfect thickness and sippability (totally a word).  You can now get your Shamrock on whenever you want!


  Calculus can definitely wait a while.

  Let me take yet another moment to say that I'm sure your blender is a bazillion times better than mine.  And I certainly hope your Monday luck is.  Turn the attachment a little the wrong way, and voila!  There is now 1% milk flooding the counter, dripping to the floor, and oozing into the blender base.

  Meanwhile, you have 10 minutes before you lose your good photo light, and your mother and sister come home to a sticky kitchen.

  Oh mah lands.

  Needless to say, I pulled my act together and whomped up another.  But in doing so, I did a poor job of sweetening my cream, and didn't add quite enough green to my shake.  Also, my blender just really sucks at consistently blending.  I mean, come on, it's only got one purpose!  Can't it get it right?  At that point, there was only one thing going through my head.  Whatever.

  Gimme a fricken straw and the ever-classy mason jar.

  And in those quiet times of minty sipping, peace reigned.  Yum.



DIY Shamrock Shake
Yield: 1 large shake

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups good-quality vanilla ice cream (go heavy-handed on this if you like a thick shake)
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons 1% milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Liquid green food coloring, if desired
  • Sweetened whipped cream, for serving

Directions:
Add the ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and food coloring (if using) to a blender and mix until completely thick and smooth.  Add more ice cream and/or milk as desired.  Pour into a large glass/mason jar, top with a generous swirl of whipped cream, add a straw, and serve!

Sources: slightly adapted from The Naptime Chef, found via Curbly